You continued skimming through the diary. Once in awhile your eyes lingered on the verses she had picked to start the day. Towards the middle a folded up piece of paper dropped out. You picked it up carefully, it was dated October 16, the date had been ruined by age. You held your breath as you read it.
Dear Nana,
I know it hasn't been that long since you left, but I miss you. I can't believe it really happened, yesterday seem's like a horrible nightmare. But I suppose you know how it feels. I hope you felt the tears I cried, they were for you. I'm sorry I'm so cheerful, I kept on telling myself what happened, wondering if I really got it. But I am happy for you, I'm glad your finally in Heaven, that you've seen Jesus' face and now you can walk and jump and sing and remember.
I never know how special it really was to hear you say I Love You on my Birthday.
I remember how you took splinters from my hands all the time. The day you saw us playing baseball on the hill and came to play with us. The time when you told me when I was crying "Don't cry or you'll make me cry". I'm alot like you...
Yesterday we were sitting around and Papa said "I just remembered something" and then he was having a hard time continuing. When he began again he said "I prayed that she'd have a clear mind today".
I didn't get to know you that well, I'm afraid I was too little when you didn't have Alzheimers and when I was old enough to have real conversations you did. But I learned to love you most dearly despite the challenges.
There was all those times you took care of me, and I had a chance to take care of you.
I feel God blessed me greatly for giving me a servant's spirit to entertain you Monday, I can't believe it was just Monday, it seems so long ago.
I knew it was you that said I Love You on my Birthday.
You had such a beautiful life. You picked a wonderful husband. Your choices produced 22 people of your blood who love you dearly.
I'm sorry for all the times when I was mad when I came up to take care of you, I'm learning the lesson that takes so long to learn. The lesson that life isn't about you, it's about what you can do with your life. You can make it about you but you gain nothing in the end. If you choose a life of lightness then your life is full of so much more purpose. The greatest purpose is to be someone God can use, to use you as a light for someone else's world. Being someone that is able to help somebody whenever it needs to be done.
You should be so proud of my sister, she was brave through it all.
I know one day very soon I shall see you again. Nevertheless...I know sometimes I'll cry...and sometimes I'll be crying for joy, crying for joy that your up in Heaven away from all this suffering and you've seen Jesus. I can only imagine that seeing Him is all the prize I would ever need for finishing my race. I Love You.
Love,
Your Granddaughter
FOREVER
You silently folded it up, not knowing what exactly to think. Though you didn't know this person or who this letter was written for. You were sad for her, you could only imagine what she was feeling when she wrote those words down.
No comments:
Post a Comment